Friday, December 11, 2009

Machines = Headache


Whether it is farm equipment or an embroidery machine, something will go wrong at some point!! My 200 is waiting to go to the shop and now my backup is acting up. The problem is TENSION! The machine's and mine. If you click on the photo you can see the thread is forming loose loops instead of tight, smooth stitches. I tried every trick to solve the problem to no avail. Monday both sources of my frustration are going to the Shop.
Here is a towel for one of my favorite machine fixers, automotive mechanic Dom Pernaci. He is simply the BEST! People complain about shady mechanics, not me. Honest, caring, goes out of his way the extra mile (sometimes literally), professional, in every way Dom is a wonderful guy.
I don't worry if he retires. His son is just like him. They work, eat and have fun together, real kindred spirits-I love that.

The stuff that looks like plastic food wrap is water soluable topping. It keeps the thread from sinking between the warp and weft threads of the towel.
It is true that Dom knows his vegetables and likes to eat good food. He knew what to do with his CSA veggies.
Bib and little girl's apron. The apron design is from an OESD series, Grandmother's Linens, which resemble 1940's handwork. You can still find original items with this kind of embroidery in antique shops and flea markets.

No comments: