Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Confession

Cucumber, Zuke, scallion, garlic and fresh basil with generous amounts of olive oil and Balsamic.
Copenhagen chopped for slaw. Dressed with good ol' PA German recipe-mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.

Ah, time to come clean on a food fact: I have not tasted everything I grow..........WHAT!!??? Yes, it is true. Let me explain. Many nights I do not get home from the plot till 10:00. I am usually bone tired, extremely dirty and sweaty, am facing a mess in the kitchen and still need to check my mail etc. Cooking anything is out of the question.

Soooooooo.............when I harvest a new crop, in this case Copenhagen Cabbage I will probably pack the CSA before I have a chance to taste. Today I stayed home to put out numerous domestic fires. Take your pick: 2' weeds in the front yard, a small mountain of laundry, atrocious kitchen floor, blah, blah, blah. Anyway I brought home a CSA share that was not picked up on Saturday and proceeded to make some stuff. Happily, everything was quite good.


This is the first year I have tried growing cabbage. The Copenhagen variety was delicious. During Friday picking I was dismayed to find tiny slugs all through the row. So many outer leaves had to be stripped, leaving this forlorn looking green ball. I thought the CSA members would be disappointed. This is an excellent cabbage, with a small core. I will be sowing some more for a Fall crop. Do any members disagree?

Artichokes are the next taste test.

No comments: